Thursday 8 October 2009

Jobs Jobs Jobs


© Credit: Fotolia

On Monday I had a job interview for a position in quite a classy restaurant called Haus in Derby to do waitress/bar work and I got the job the same day! I don't know about you but I was bouncing off the walls all night. 

Getting a job is not only great when your at university for money as I have posted previously, but it's also a place to meet more new people and so getting a job to me was high up on the agenda. Although it is important to make sure you balance work with university assignments and social life. I have put together some tips for people looking for a job while at university or looking for full time work which may help you.

  • Have a good CV done. I believe the best CVs are ones that take no more than 2 sides and look professional and concise. I have found this website which has some good tips here
  • Don't be picky when it comes to jobs. When I finally got the motivation to go out and look, I printed off about 20 copies of my CV and went into every single bar on the way to town and all the retail and department stores. By the few hours I'd spent doing this, I think I had handed around 10 out as many of them pointed me to their websites. Also, a woman who noticed me handing CVs out requested one as they needed staff at their book store. And by the end of the day I had 2 job interviews, both for the following week (this week).
  • Prepare for your job interview. This is the key - it helps you to feel less nervous the more prepared you are. I write this from hindsight, as the job interview I had for the restaurant was completely unorganised and I knew nothing of the restaurants menu and was totally unprepared for the questions they asked me. This coupled with me not having any bar/waitress experience I didn't feel confident at all but it goes to show that you have to start somewhere!
  • Also prepare questions to ask. Asking questions about the job/company shows you are interested but also gives you an idea of what you will be doing/who you will be working with. Look at this website for questions to ask which I used. Once you start asking questions more may pop into your head. Avoid asking questions about salary/hours for now as this may give the wrong impression to your potential employer - they want to know your not just in it for the money (which you probably are, but this can wait for now).
  • Dress smartly. This is important because you want to give a good impression and shows you have made an effort and that the job is important to you. Avoid all black though.
 Those are all the tips I can think of at this time, my first trial shift is tomorrow, wish me luck!
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails