Wednesday 1 September 2010

10 Things I Love About Being At Uni

Image thanks to nkzs


Unless you haven't started university yet this year, by now you will know what it's like to be at uni. There is so much to appreciate and you more than likely won't have this experience again so now is the time to make the most of things!

For those of you who haven't started yet, these are the things to be looking out for!

1. The parties. After spending a whole year at university you will realise that when you aren't doing assignments/working, you are out partying! There is literally a party most days of the week somewhere and so it is definitely worth taking advantage of as no doubt when you go home for the summer your social life will dampen.

2. Meeting new people. Starting university for the first time was scary and exciting at the same time. But then I realised, everyone else there was in the same boat. This made it really easy to meet new people and I have met some amazing people along the way. Don't pass up any chances where you might meet new people as maybe one day you might need them and it doesn't hurt to have more friends!

3. The chance of a better future afterwards. Although obviously we go to uni for the parties and drinking, once you've worked hard for your degree you have a much better chance of finding your dream job afterwards. That is why going to university is almost like an investment - for your future. It has been proven that unemployment is a lot higher for people who have no degree so don't squander your chance as there will be a job you are going to enjoy & get paid more for doing it at the end.

4. Learning something new. I found that whilst I was working before I started university I was getting good money, but I didn't feel challenged enough. Being at uni means that you will be learning lots of new things and will challenge your mind which can only be a good thing. You never know when you might use the things you are being taught (even if it is only in a pub quiz) so it is definitely worthwhile.

5. The discounts/free stuff. In the first week of uni last year I swear I had masses and masses of free vouchers and coupons shoved into my hand which I still haven't used. Being a student means you have less money and so we tend to get things for cheaper/at oap price or free which is amazing and I love it. Make the most of interest free overdrafts, cheap cinema tickets, free/discounted pizza, etc. and you will be well on your way to saving money.

6. The cheap drinks. Along with all the free stuff you get given as a student, definitely make the most of the cheap drinks during the week. Weekend prices tend to be double what you would pay as a student so get out there with your mates and get those budget beverages.

7. Being able to buy lots and lots of stationary. I always need an excuse for buying stationary as I am actually addicted to it. I just love having a clean diary and being organised, so being at university gave me the perfect excuse.

8. Field trips. This may not apply to all courses but definitely during mine (Geography) there was plenty of field trips including on to the seaside. Obviously it wasn't that fun as it was mid october and was freezing cold, wet and windy. But no doubt it gives you a chance to explore somewhere new whilst doing something you enjoy.

9. Pigging out when deadlines loom. Deadlines are the funnest part of university as it brings stress and stops you from going out. But I did enjoy being holed up at my computer desk sat with pizza, fizzy drinks and chocolate whilst I worked away - it was the perfect excuse. Even better, get your mates round and do work together. That way you get to have fun with your friends, pig out, and finish work!

10. All the spare time you could ever want. I think last year I spent around two and a half days at uni in autumn and 1 and a half days in spring. The spare time was great, it meant I could laze around all day if I wanted, without anyone caring. Just make sure you don't spend too much time being lazy as there is a reason why you have this time (for doing extra work/reading of course...).

Hope you enjoyed this, let me know what you favourite things are about university and why!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails