Monday 7 June 2010

Getting Used To a New City

Image thanks to Simon Howden






Hi all, hope everything is all good! So, I've been thinking a lot recently about when I first started going to university and how difficult I first found it. If you are a student, do you remember how you felt when you arrived at a new city ready to start your university life(does not include the people who studied at home hehe)? Do you remember how difficult or how easy it was now you were independent and didn't know anyone yet?


I can tell you that although I was a little nervous about being in a new town all on my own, I was also very, very excited. The reason for this was because no one knew me, I had no enemies and I felt I could be who I was without having to worry. 


The other kind of excitement was the fact I was going to university for the first time and this was completely new to me. It's like jumping into the thing you'd always dreamed of doing and I was so so excited. This kind of enhanced the thought of living in a new place which came with the university experience. 


So what do you do now you're here? One thing which I believe the best advice is be yourself. If maybe before you came to university you tried hard to be someone you weren't, just being yourself gives you a break and people will see you for who you are. Don't try to fit in. Also, first impressions do count and so try to create the best first impression you can. 


Talk to people. Don't be shy in your new town! At some point, a lot of people are the 'new kid' and I bet there are others in the same situation. By talking to people and swallowing your pride, you'll build up your confidence and meet some great people. It will also take the edge off feeling alone if you don't know many people yet. Taking risks can sometimes pay off and in the sense of throwing yourself into the deep end, definitely try it.


Now that you're all settled, why not explore your new town/city? Take a walk around your new place and the city centre and see what the place has to offer. I have to say this was the bit I most enjoyed. I got to see beautiful new architecture, go shopping in a new place and I took walks around the local park. You could also visit some art galleries or museums or get a cup of tea at a nice local cafe. There are many more things you could do, try it!


If there was something you always wanted to do but never got to do it at your old home, why not take it up now? For example take up evening classes, join the gym and take up new sports to meet more people, do some charity work, etc.


Remember to stay in touch with friends from back home though. The worst thing you could do is move to a new city and forget everyone from back home. It won't make them feel very good (unless you really do want to forget everything from home) and won't do you any good. You could even send letters to your old mates to keep in touch, I love receiving letters!


When I remember back, I felt so depressed the first week! But to be honest having these kind of feelings are completely normal and you probably won't just get these kind of feelings at the start either. It takes time to adjust to new things and so don't worry if you feel lonely, sad or depressed - they are to be expected from uprooting yourself from comfort. Remember, there is always light at the end of the tunnel and these feelings won't last. Just get yourself out there and get busy and enjoy it!


I hope you found this useful, let me know what your experiences were like when moving to a new place/starting university for the first time!







0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails